Wednesday, March 13, 2013

But I Haven't Thought of You Lately At All....

I realize the times they-are-a-changing, and so maybe I shouldn't find this unusual, but...

Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas put up a Kickstarter campaign to raise 2 million to make a Veronica Mars movie.*  They gave the project 30 days to raise the money.

Done, in less than 24 hours

There have got to be huge lessons for e-commerce and marketing there.  I'm still trying to figure out what they are.  Maybe it's also just because I watched Amanda Palmer's TED talk recently, but the idea that you can now just go to the world and say, "Help support this project, that you will love" and it can happen, at a scale that I don't think was possible even ten years ago, feels very powerful.

Or perhaps I'm just happy that they're going to make a movie.  

* The first season of Veronica Mars remains one of the best things ever on television.  It's not just me saying that -- it was Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith.  Go buy the DVDs or something if you don't believe me.

 

No comments: